Translate

Monday 28 February 2011

Cycle from Longhoughton to Amble

19th Jan 2011, having the Wednesday off I decided to set off for Warkworth Castle.

Setting off mainly by road, south into Lesbury, staying on the road before getting onto the coastal cycle path just south of Alnmouth, which travels parallel to the A0168 on the eastern (coastal) side.

Just short of Warkworth the cycle path ends and you are directed up a small lane past a camping site, and towards the golf course.  Its worth heading away following the signs at this point as it leads to a nice viewing area that overlooks the River Coquet and Warkworth with the Castle atop the opposite hill, although the trees may block this during the summer.


A short downhill road leads you back to the 1068, where it crosses the river, before heading into Warkworth where its a climb up to the castle.

Unfortunately due to winter opening hours the castle was not open so I decided to head into Amble, the road to Amble follows the River Coquet before entering the town.  Heading through the town and past the harbour industry gets you to the mouth of the Coquet, which has an old harbour wall, out to which a walkway has been built in more recent times.  I walked along the old wall and came back using the modern walkway, whilst not getting in the way of the few fishermen who were casting their lines into the river.


As I was feeling peckish I started making my way back up towards Warkworth, as I was now heading back up hill I took more time to take in the views of the river.  After a short ride through the village I came to the Mason's arms, and their friendly staff.  After finishing off a nice baked potato stuffed with chilli I started my return home, firstly back up the same route that I had come down, but this time staying on the coastal path all the way through Amble and up to Foxton.

Just after Foxton, climbing up one of the steep hills the rear hanger on my bike gave way throwing the rear mech into the spokes, which bent the mech.  After a few minutes pulling the mech from between the spokes I resigned myself to walking the rest (3 miles) of the way home, although that was helped somewhat for the first 1/2 mile by freewheeling down the slope to the coast.


Fortunately there was time to get the bike up to cyclelife in Alnwick, who sourced and replaced the rear hanger and mech.

When I picked the bike up I managed to get a staple through the tyre & get a puncture, fortunately when I picked the bike up I also bought a spare inner tube.

Some stats:

Total mileage cycling: 17.81     time:  2hrs 20 mins Climb: 932 ft
Distance walking:        2.92      time:  43mins

No comments:

Post a Comment